Landlord’s Oil Certificates – 0800 228 9574

Landlord’s Oil Boiler Servicing

According to the office for National Statistics, the number of households living in the private rented sector in the UK increased from 2.8 million in 2007 to 4.5 million in 2017. This is a huge rise of 1.7 million (63%). With this continued growth it is important that each Landlord knows their responsibilities and duties. These duties include providing a Landlord’s Oil Certificate and service check each year on a rental property.

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is the main legislation for landlords in England and Wales. All Landlords have a legal duty to make sure that their rental properties based in England or Wales are safe before and throughout a tenancy.

Duty of care

Under section 4 of the Defective Premises Act 1972, a landlord who has an implied or express obligation to repair or maintain a property or has a right to enter the property to carry out certain repairs, owes a duty of care to make sure that all people who ‘relevant defects’ may affect in the state of the premises are safe from personal injury or damage to their property resulting from the defects. This is a fact specific question which must also be answered in the context of all the circumstances of the individual case.

The landlord has a duty to the following:

  • The tenant
  • Members of the tenants household
  • Visitors to the property

Safety of Oil-Fired Boiler Installations and Oil Storage Tanks

The installation and operation of oil-fired systems including the storage of the oil must be safe.

Oftec (Oil Firing Technical Association) launched in April 1991 to construct a framework within which oil firing in the United Kingdom and Republic Of Ireland could operate with a greater degree of technical expertise, efficiency and safety. The installation of oil-fired systems should meet the standards set out by OFTEC. OFTEC registered engineers, should also install, maintain and service these systems.

Prestige Services register with Oftec and also have qualified oil heating engineers.


Our OFTEC company registration number is 100103.

Landlord Responsibilities for Oil Boilers

There is no legal requirement in the UK for a landlord to have a safety certificate for oil fired equipment installed. Yet the landlord does still have a “duty of care” as detailed above. BS 5410: Part 1 means oil fired appliances and equipment need to be serviced under the Manufacturer’s instructions. Oil storage tanks and oil supply pipe work should have checks for condition and any leaks repaired.
Letting agents and landlords need to make sure that an engineer inspects oil boilers yearly. Regular maintenance reduces carbon monoxide poisoning risk. Any fossil fuel burning appliance has potential to produce carbon monoxide if incorrectly installed or maintained.
A carbon monoxide detector should fit adjacent to any oil-fired boiler or as advised by your engineer. The battery should have regular checks, which the tenant can also carry out.
At the request of tenants, letting agents, and landlords, OFTEC has an OFTEC CD/12 Landlord Oil Installation Check form where there is a need to verify an installations compliance with the Building Regulations, health & safety and efficiency regulatory requirements. OFTEC Registered Service and Commissioning Engineers are the only persons that can obtain a CD/12 Landlord Oil certificate. This will come in triplicate format to allow a copy which the tenant, letting agent/landlord and engineers retains.
For the purpose of an oil installation check, there is a need to complete an OFTEC CD/11 Service and Commissioning Report form. A CD/11 can also have the use to record observations during scheduled maintenance, as BS 5410: Part 1 needs.
Where tenancy agreements put the duty of oil boiler maintenance on the tenant, we recommend that tenants use an OFTEC Registered technician. They can provide a copy of an OFTEC CD/12 or CD/11 to show that they have met the terms of their agreement.

Prestige Services – Oil Boilers

We also carry out oil boiler and heating repairs and new oil boiler installations. If you would like a quote for a new oil boiler, we can visit your rental property. We will then assess the current central heating system and send you a full detailed, no obligation quote for you to consider.
We can supply and install all manufacturers’ boilers. However, we do specialise in Worcester Bosch boilers as we are an accredited Platinum Installer.
Being FCA regulated (Financial Conduct Authority) means we are able to offer finance. Both 0% and interest bearing on all Worcester oil Boilers that we install. The finance is through Hitachi Capital (UK) Plc. This is available to Landlords subject to status and criteria.
Our other division is Prestige Electrical Services with qualified Electrical Inspectors. They can provide an Electrical Installation Condition Report (Periodic Test) on the electrical wiring of the property.
We also carry out all electrical work from changing a light fitting to completely re-wiring a property. Furthermore, if you need an Electrical Landlord’s Certificate or any electrical work for a rental property, please see here or feel free to contact us.
If you have any questions about our Landlord Oil Heating or Electrical services, Safety Certificates or you would like a no obligation quote for a new oil boiler, then please do contact us. You can do so by telephone 0800 228 9574 or by email Leisa or a member of our team will be more than happy to help you.
We look forward to being of service to you for all Landlord Certificate needs.
Please click here for the other services we can provide.
Landlord’s Oil Boiler Servicing - Oil Boiler - Prestige Services