Landlord’s Certificates for Boilers, Fires and Cookers
With many more properties coming on to the rental market and demand increasing it is vital that each Landlord knows their responsibilities and duty of care to their tenants. The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is the main legislation for landlords in England and Wales.
Landlords do have a legal duty to ensure that their rental property is safe before a tenancy begins and throughout its duration. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe These duties include providing a Gas Safety Report/Record and annual service check on rental properties.
If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities:
- Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer as our staff are.
- Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
- Record: a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to the tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.
All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer as our staff are at Prestige Plumbing & Heating Services.
Landlord Gas Safety Record
These reports are provided after a registered Gas Safe engineer from Prestige Plumbing & Heating have checked that all of the gas appliances in the property are safe for use, work correctly and are safe guarded against the dangers of Carbon monoxide.
What information should the Landlords Gas Safety record contain?
- Name, registration number and signature of the Gas Safe Engineer who carried out the check
- Site address of the property where the Gas Safety check is being carried out
- Name & Address of Landlord (or Letting Agent where applicable)
- Description and location of each appliance and/or flue checked
- Confirmation of the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances
- Any defect identified and any action required or taken to fix
- Date on which the appliance and/or flue was checked
We also run Prestige Electrical Services with Electrical Inspectors who are qualified to provide an Electrical Installation Condition Report (Periodic Test) on the electrical wiring of the property, if you require an Electrical Landlords Certificate as well do please contact us.
If you have any questions about our Landlord Plumbing, Heating or Electrical services or would like a quotation, then please do give Leisa a call on 0800 228 9574 or email email@example.com and she will be happy to answer your questions or arrange an appointment.
We look forward to being of service to you.