The Gas Safe Register is the official gas registration body for the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Guernsey, appointed by the relevant Health and Safety Authority for each area. By law all gas engineers must also be on the Gas Safe Register. The Register replaced CORGI as the gas registration body in Great Britain and Isle of Man on 1 April 2009 and Northern Ireland and Guernsey on 1 April 2010.
What does Gas Safe Register do?
The main focus of the Gas Safe Register is to continually improve and maintain gas safety to the highest standards. Gas safe also make sure all gas engineers on the Register are qualified to work with gas.
Gas Safe work to protect the general public from unsafe gas work by:
- Having a dedicated national investigations team tracking down individuals working illegally.
- Regularly carry out inspections of registered engineers.
- Educating consumers and raising awareness of gas safety.
- Investigating reports of unsafe gas work.
Gas Safe Register is there to help keep you and your family safe.
Landlord Gas Safety Record
All of your gas appliances, including your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire should be Gas safety checked once a year. They should also have a regular service according to manufacturer’s instructions. If you do not have your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked by a registered gas safe engineer you could be putting yourself and your family at risk and in possible danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. All of our heating engineers at Prestige are gas safe registered.
What is a gas safety check?
A gas safety check involves a one of our gas safe registered heating engineers inspecting and checking the gas appliances are working correctly. They will also check the following:
- Gas appliances are on the right settings and are burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
- Ensure harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
- That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
- All the safety devices are working
The gas safety check will detect any defects which require remedial work. You should also have a gas safety check every year. If you are a landlord this is the law.
What is a Service?
Whilst a gas safety check assesses the basic safety of a gas appliance a service will be a full check of the gas appliance. Our heating engineers will:
- Take the appliance apart to inspect it.
- Assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration.
- Carry out performance tests.
- Carry out any necessary remedial action or arrange for a quote if needed.
Your gas appliances do need to be serviced regularly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Having your gas appliances serviced regularly will not only make sure they are safe to use, it will also maintain the efficiency and performance of each appliance.
Our company registration number is 567529.
If you have any questions or require any help with any aspect of your gas appliance, please do give Leisa a call on 0800 228 9574. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to help you.
Please also click here for more information on our Gas Boiler installations and servicing.
We look forward to being of service to you.